Can we all agree that spring is universal dress season? This year, the cold and snow will make way for all sorts of fun dress trends, from brightly colored maxis (tangerine and neon are everything at the moment) to classics like florals and pleats. Oh, and with the ‘90s obsession at its peak, we’ll definitely see some retro odes, including lots of old-school jumpers.
Our favorite boutique dresses for spring are the ones that bring something new while honoring something classic. Check out our list of 10 spring must-haves to get some warm-weather inspo to carry you through the year.
1. A Billowy, Floral Dress—Few patterns are quite as apropos for the spring as floral. Whether it’s romantic red roses or all-over daisies that look straight out of a catalog from the ‘90s, florals bring every look a springy vibe. This year, it’s all about the knee-length and mini floral dress, but you can sport this pattern on basically any kind of silhouette. Flower power always comes through!
2. A Solid-Colored Tangerine Dress—Did you know that tangerine is one of the hottest hues of 2020? Yep, the vibrant, sunshine-inspired color has already been seen on the runway in Paris, Milan, London and New York this year, and we are not mad about it. The perfect tangerine dress is one that’s done in neckline-to-hem tangerine but stops short of the ankle to showcase some gorgeous matching shoes.
3. A Mini Dress in Bright Neon—Second to tangerine, ultra-neon colors are definitely the hottest hue trend of the moment, and we’ll start to see them flowing in as soon as spring is on the horizon. In keeping with the 1990s trend, consider grabbing a babydoll dress or a mini dress in a blindingly bright neon pink, green or yellow. Looking like a highlighter will be all the rage this season, the forecasters say.
4. A Little Black (Wrap) Dress—Funky colors and bold fabrics may be totally in style at the moment, but the little black dress (LBD) will always remain a mainstay. To give it the spring treatment, rock it in a wrap silhouette with a flirty skirt and pair it with some sweet, strappy sandals. The ultra-flattering wrap dress has been a style fave for a couple of years now, and it doesn’t appear to be dying down anytime soon.
5. A Denim Button-Front Dress—Flattering and form-fitting yet perfectly casual, the skin-tight denim button-front dress is the dress for late spring into summer. When styled with some thigh-high patent leather boots, this dress takes on a distinctly 1970s vibe. But if you’re feeling more mod, you can totally pair it with some crisp slip-on sneakers to give it some sporty-chic undertones. Plus, it’s denim, which means it literally goes with everything. What could be better?
6. A Puffy Sleeve Mini Dress—Love them or hate them, puffy sleeves are everywhere at the moment, from glamorous black tie event red carpets to the table at Sunday brunch. If you’re all about showcasing your love of all things trendy, you’ve gotta rock a puffy sleeve mini dress this spring and summer. Double-down by grabbing one in a hot-right-now color, like tangerine or any vibrant neon.
7. A Leather Bodycon Dress—While leather once signaled badassery, these days it’s about as mainstream as it gets, so don’t be afraid to rock it if you tend to dress on the more subdued side. At the same time, leather still has the distinct power to make you feel amazingly authoritative, so you can totally pair it with your boldest combat boots if you want to feel like a boss. We’ve seen sleek, tailored leather dresses paired with blazers and heels for the workday, too.
8. A Two-Piece Crop Top Dress—We all know the crop top is the top of the decade—and, no, much to the chagrin of all midriff-haters, it’s not heading out anytime soon—so it’s only logical that it shows up somewhere on this list. For dressier events, you’re going to need a cute crop top and skirt combo that creates that desirable disconnected dress aesthetic. If you’re not keen on the idea of baring a ton of skin, go for a peephole, knot-front or long crop top option.
9. A Funky Patterned Jumper Dress—Jumpers are somewhere between bib overalls and dresses, which means they bring a youthful feel to whatever you’re wearing. That’s why they lend themselves especially well to vibrant and funky patterns (think: animal print). Style them with a solid-colored turtleneck on chillier spring days or go for a cute, ribbed tee if temps are on the warmer end.
10. Anything Involving Pleats—Pleats are in, in case you haven’t noticed! From the menswear-inspired pleat front pants to those ultra-romantic calf-length pleat skirts that we’ve started to see everywhere, it seems that pleats are having a serious resurgence at the moment. Play to this fun yet classic trend by rocking a pleated dress featuring sweet pleats throughout. Because of their innate flirtiness and femininity, pleated dresses and skirts are definitely a great pick for spring weddings, galas and cocktail parties.
Spring into Style
Thanks to the fact that they’re naturally breezy and lighthearted, dresses are the choice wardrobe fundamental for fashionistas this spring. Whether you go for laid-back denim or dressy pleats, remember to infuse some fun and airiness into whatever you’re wearing this season. With florals, neons and breezy materials, you’ll feel like a spring queen in any of these frocks.
Disclosure: This article was written by a guest author.