Project Runway’s most successful, and the most adorable winner, Christian Siriano showcased his Spring 2010 Collection during NYFW at Bryant Park on Sept. 12. The Mediterranean-inspired collection was beautifully presented with elegant looking models wearing his amazing pieces from very artistic gowns to fierce shoes/accessories for his Payless line.
The show wouldn’t be complete without all the hard work that goes on backstage… the makeup, the hair… for that perfect one-of-a-kind show. I can’t help but to mention how much I love the models’ overall look from this show. I especially loved the ladylike ponytails the most… created by Aveda! Let’s get this trendy style, step-by-step, straight from the runway!
This is a low, sleek ponytail adorned with a textured bouquet of waves; a play of smooth versus rough. Hair is sleek and groomed on each side of the head and through the ponytail, with a slightly rough, matte finish on top and elegant, textured waves pinned above the pony. The finished look is chic and contemporary with a bit of attitude.
Models’ hair was prepped with my all-time favorite Aveda products. Here is how to achieve the look, step by step.
- Step 1: Create a deep side part. Draw a horseshoe-shaped section of hair along the top of the head, from each brow-line. Isolate this section of hair and pin in place with a single-pronged hair clip.
- Step 2: Pull the bottom half of hair into a ponytail and secure with a bungee elastic. Divide ponytail into sections with fingers and spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for workable hold.
- Step 3: Use a flat iron to straighten the ponytail section by section, creating a smooth, sleek finish.
- Step 4: Unclip the top section of hair and comb it back and over the ponytail. Sprinkle Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion and massage into hair to create volume and matte, rough texture.
- Step 5: Working with the same top section, divide hair into smaller pieces and spray with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray. Wrap each piece of hair around a ceramic Curl Rod, creating spirals, until the entire top section of hair has been curled.
- Step 6: Brush through spirals, loosening curls into soft waves. Loosely backcomb waves to create fullness, volume and texture, and shorten the length of hair.
- Step 7: Pin the sides and ends of wavy hair against the head, close to the base of the ponytail. Hair is sculpted into a voluminous, undulating chignon adorning the ponytail.
- Step 8: Work Aveda Light Elements™ Texturizing Creme into palms. Smooth hair along the sides of the head and above the ears to create a sleekness and shine.
- Step 9: Finish the look with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray for shine and hold.
Aveda Products Used:
Aveda Light Elements™ Texturizing Creme
Aveda Pure Abundance™ Hair Potion
Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray
(See my review on Aveda products!)
Antoinette Beenders, Vice President Global Creative Director for Aveda gives more insight on how to flaunt these gorgeous ponytails.
Q: What was your inspiration for this look? How did you collaborate with the designer to create the look?
“Christian and I worked together to create a hair look that reflects the inspiration behind his collection: waves and the ocean, with shimmering silks, silvers, and blues. I call this look the “wave” because of the back-combed wave that floats atop the ponytail. Since Christian is a young designer, the hair look is elegant yet very modern.”
Q: How could a woman achieve this look on her own?
“This is an elegant, alternative version of the ponytail—beautiful for evening. Using a fine comb, separate the front/top of hair and part it into a horseshoe shaped section on the top of the head. Tie the rest of hair into a low ponytail.
Rake the front/top of hair back with Aveda Light Elements™ Texturizing Creme, and curl with a curling rod. Brush through curls and backcomb slightly, then pin teased hair to the base of the ponytail, creating loose, textured waves. Finish look with Aveda Air Control™ Hair Spray.”