There is no better drink to get in the mood with your loved one than wine – for a romantic dinner, getting cozy by the fireplace or sipping while relaxing in a bubble bath. For those special occasions like Valentine’s Day, you definitely want a perfect wine to make your night that much more special and memorable.
Use this helpful “Aromas and Flavors Guide” and chart your Valentine’s Day wine exploration today!
Aromas and Flavors
These aromas and flavors are common to some varieties. You can use the guide to get started, but you will discover new combinations and delightful surprises as you try varieties from around the world. What are you in the mood for?
- Sauvignon Blanc: grapefruit, citrus, fresh cut grass, apple
- Semillon: peach, vanilla, apricot, melon
- Chardonnay: citrus, apple, pear, melon, vanilla, oak, buttery aromas
- Pinot Noir: cherry, raspberry, coffee, spice, leather
- Gamay (Beaujolais): strawberry, violet, cranberry, spices, rose
- Merlot: red fruit (raspberry, red plum, red currants), herbal
- Cabernet Sauvignon: black fruit (blackberry, black plum, black currant), spices, leather, tobacco, licorice, mint, cedar
- Malbec: black fruit, leather, tobacco, spice
- Syrah/Shiraz: black fruit, spices, prunes, pepper
- Zinfandel: red and black fruit, pepper, cherry
- Sangiovese: red and black fruit, smoke, vanilla, pepper, coffee
Source reference: Triangle Style